vets information from Samantha Coe vetbase.co.uk
vets and pets info from vetbase.co.uk vets-info-vetbase
pets small animal vets info vetbase
vets and pets healthcare informationHome | About | Privacy and Terms | Email
fleas vetask ebook mini-ad

Grapes and Raisins Could be a Poison for Your Dog

Grapes and raisins may cause acute renal failure in dogs. It is unknown exactly why these foods are toxic to dogs, but it has been found that some dogs develop acute kidney failure following the consumption of grapes or raisins. It is therefore best to be cautious about feeding these fruits to dogs.

Some dogs really like grapes and raisins and will even eat them directly from the vine. However it has been known for a while that some dogs will go on to develop acute renal (kidney) failure shortly after eating these foods.

It is currently unknown why these fruits are toxic to dogs. It may not be the fruit itself, but rather a mycotoxin (from a mould or fungus on the grapes), or perhaps a chemical with which the grapes have been sprayed such as a pesticide or herbicide which causes the problem.

If a dog eats a quantity of raisins or grapes then there is a possibility that they may develop signs of toxicity. Such signs include vomiting, diarrhoea and excitable or nervous behaviour; usually within 24 hours of consumption. Dogs may then develop other problems such as abdominal pain, lethargy, anorexia and depression. Acute renal failure may occur and the dog may die.

Vets may be able to treat this problem by making the animal vomit if the grapes or raisins were fairly recently eaten and have not yet passed through the stomach (within 2 hours of consumption). Following this the administration of activated charcoal can help to absorb toxic chemicals in the gut before they can cause a problem.

Since the main problem associated with the ingestion of grapes and raisins is acute renal failure it is important to support the kidneys and this can be done by giving the animal intravenous fluids. Dogs may need i/v fluids for around 48 hours or longer and the vet will be able to monitor your pet's kidney function via blood tests and monitoring urine output etc during the treatment.

I would not be at all surprised if one day we find that this toxicity is due to a mycotoxin or chemical spray and nothing to do with the grapes themselves. However since there is no way to tell at the moment it is wise not to allow your dog to eat either raisins or grapes. If you suspect that your dog has eaten grapes or raisins and may be showing signs of toxicity consult your vet urgently.


vets and pets info from vetbase.co.uk
Sam's Blog
vets and pets info
Cats
vets and pets info
Dogs
vets and pets info
Food Animals
vets and pets info
Hamsters
vets and pets info
Rabbits
vets and pets info
Rats
vets and pets info
Recommended Books
vets and pets info
Complementary Therapies
vets and pets info
General
vets and pets info
Poisons
Chocolate
Daffodils and Hyacinths
Ethylene Glycol /Antifreeze
Grapes and Raisins
Snake venom- Adder
Spider Plants Liliaceae
Lilies
Macadamia nuts
Nicotine
Onions and garlic
vets and pets info
Directory
vets and pets info
vets and pets info
Interesting Videos
vets and pets info
Pet Behaviour
vets and pets info
Basics of Pet Nutrition
vets and pets info
Lost Boa Constrictor (5 Jun 12)
New Veterinary Practice Offers Alternative Therapies (4 Nov 08)
Watch out for Myxomatosis in Rabbits (22 Sep 07)
New Interactive Pet Health Website Just Launched! (27 Jan 07)
Dangerous and Aggressive Dogs (27 Jan 07)
Should I clean my pet's ears?
What would you recommend for a child's first pet?
How often should my pet have a booster vaccination?
At what age should I get my dog neutered?
Why is my dog scratching so much?
How often should I worm my dog?
What should I feed my dog?
How often should I worm my cat?
What diseases should my cat be vaccinated against?
Can I keep a cat indoors all the time?

© Samantha J. Coe 2017 | Terms and Conditions |
All Rights Reserved | Content is provided for information only. All content on vetbase.co.uk is protected by copyright and therefore may not be copied without specific written permission from the author. Disclaimer: The content of this website is based upon the opinions of Samantha Coe, unless otherwise stated. Individual articles, extracts, and any links to external sites are based upon the opinions of the respective author(s), who may retain copyright. The information on this website is not intended to replace a consultation with a qualified veterinary professional and is not intended as medical advice. The purpose of this site is the sharing of knowledge and information - Samantha Coe encourages you to make informed healthcare decisions for animals in your care based upon your research and in consultation with your vet.